Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pearl's Communion


Sunday, September 9 was communion at Bridgewater. Pearl knew as soon as we got to church that it was communion Sunday because of the difference at the altar. She immediately went up front and wanted to take communion. I talked to her and told her that it was not time yet and that she had to wait until after the sermon and than she could take communion with everyone else. Well of course as usual we did not make it that far in the service before we had to leave due to Pearl being a two almost three year-old. So after church Corben brought the elements to the house to use latter in the week for shut-in's and we ran out to lunch with Aunt Dottie and Aunt Linda.
So on Monday I was preparing dinner and Pearl came into the kitchen saw the communion bread and wanted communion. So we cleared off the table and sat down. Corben read some scripture with the elements on the table before us. Pearl sat there legs swinging and listening to Corben read. She never made a noise and I could tell was listening intently. She would look at the elements and than at her Dad. After Corben was done reading scripture he gave Pearl and I communion.
Wow. What a moment. I do not think I will ever forget that night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me." We can learn so much from the faith and trust of a child. SK

Corben said...

Yes, we can. When Brenda wrote " I do not think I will ever forget that night" I can say when I looked at Pearl's radiant face and I felt like I was seeing the face of Jesus staring back at me.