Thursday, March 20, 2008

What is today


Some people call today Holy Thursday, some say Maundy Thursday, some say Pass over, some say last supper, some say agape meal, some say first day of spring, and to some it is just Thursday, March 20. Well for us here in the Russell household it has been a day of preparation. We have been preparing for tonight's service at the church. Pearl was supposed to be in pre-school today but it was canceled so she to has been helping. At first I thought oh no, but to be honest with you it has been a blessing in disguise. Pearl has been a great little helper and I can not wait to experience tonight's service with her. So as our day of preparations is starting to wind down it will turn into a night of remembrance and learning. We will learn what some of the things were that took place so many years ago the night Jesus was betrayed, and remember in closing with communion what Jesus did for us on the cross tomorrow.
A short story about our preparations
We actually started our preparations last night by setting up the tables and chairs in the shape of a cross. Pearl was there and helped us, but we never really explained to her why we were moving the tables and we never mentioned to her the fact that they were in the shape of a cross. So today she has been for the most part busy playing while I've been getting the food ready. So when my mom stopped by for a surprise visit while we were just getting ready for lunch, and was happily surprised that Pearl meet her at the door. Grandma thought she was in school. I was not expecting Pearl to say much about tonight. However during the midst of eating lunch and talking about tonight and what I had done and still had to do my Mom asked if there was anything she could do to help. I said she could help me fill cups with grape juice if she wanted to over at the church. So that is when it happened Pearl perked up at asked with much excitment if Grandma wanted to go and see the cross at the church. So we did, we went to the church and Pearl very proudly showed the cross to her Grandma.

1 comment:

Corben said...

We are so blessed to have Pearl and I am sure we are as blessed as Pearl is for having the opportunity of Christ in her life every day.

I do not know how much she understands about the cross, but if I was a person who bet I would bet two things. The first is that she understands more then I percieve she does and the second is she sees the cross more purely, honestly, and simply, then I do.

All too often as pastor it is easy to get flowery or extravigant whether it is in prayer, praise, worship, or almost anything else under the sun, but Pearl reminds me of the heart of faith.

To simply come before God loving Him totally, freely, and honestly without all the adult baggage that comes along.