Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day






There are many myth and lore about Valentine's day,
but I never hear what the bible has to say about a day
devoted to celebrating loving relationships.

There are over 500 verses in the bible that mention love,
but one that is not mentioned often is in Genesis 29.
The story of Jacob and Rachel where he worked seven years
for Rachel's father to gain her hand in marriage.

I implore you during this wonderful season of celebrating loved ones
and our relationships with them to read the passage in Genesis,
Genesis 29:1-30.



What does it mean to love? or maybe easier what is love? especially in
todays culture.

Would I work 14 years of hard labor to gain my wife's hand in marriage?
I hope I would not let myself get tricked.

I love my wife Brenda very much and we together work at better "loving God
with our whole hearts, souls, strengths, and minds, as well as loving our neighbors as ourselves" (Matthew 22:38-39).



Love is not just an emotion, feeling, state of being, or euphoria, but also an action, a way of life that shows integrity, honesty, truthfulness, passion (sometimes both kinds), and perseverance.

May we all love better each day holistically in a way that honors God.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I love you Corben. I am glad my Dad didn't make you work for me too. I could not imagine to still be waiting for you.